Approval Rating Bonanza
by Chris Bowers, Tue May 10, 2005 at 01:50:24 PM EDT
- The 22 Democratic Governors have a slightly higher approval rating than the 28 Republican Governors. The average Democratic approval rating is 49, with 39.5 disapproval. The average Republican rating is 47.9 approval, and 41.4 disapproval.
- Most potential Republican Presidential candidates look terrible. Bush (FL) is at 49/46, Romney (MA) is at 41/51, Barbour (MS) is at 37/55, and Pataki (NY) is at 36/56. Barbour is particularly toxic, considering how conservative Mississippi is. I have no idea why Republicans are supposedly urging this guy to run for President if the good people of Mississippi hate his guts. Even Schwarzenegger is at 40/56, and looking very vulnerable. The only Republican Governor with Presidential ambitions who comes out alright is Owens, with a solid 54/38.
- Western, but not West Coast, Democrats are shining. Freudenthal (WY) is at 67/20, Napolitano (AZ) is at 59/32, Henry (OK) is at 59/30, Schweitzer (MT) is at 58/27, Sebelius (KS) is at 54/34, and Richardson (NM) is at 54/39. That is a sick 59/30 average! Can there be any doubt that the party need to move left, I mean west?
- Warner is indeed loved. At 55/31, he would be a real threat to take Allen's seat, and to win Virginia as the party's nominee.
- Bob Taft in Ohio is roundly despised, with a pathetic 19/74 rating. That is worse than Nixon's when he resigned office. Democrats simply must win in Ohio in 2006. Murkowski (AK) take the silver at 27/66. Its too bad Knowles didn't face him last year. Blunt (MO) comes in third at 33/57. That is some real buyer's remorse in Missouri.