Happy Thread

Today sucked. It looks almost certain that the horrible bankruptcy bill, possibly the worst piece of legislation since the Medicare bill, is going to pass. The number of American military fatalities in Iraq passed 1,500. And, either a Republican hack successfully managed to trick basically the entire blogosphere into wrongfully turning on Senator Feingold and other campaign finance reform advocates, or the once progressive cause of campaign finance reform really is now seeking to destroy the greatest outpouring of grassroots activism this country has seen in thirty years: the netroots. I'm still trying to figure out which of the two actually took place, but either reality is painful.

All of this made it hard for me to write today as I lost a good deal of my fighting spirit. Considering my mood, I would like to turn away from politics for a moment, and start a thread about something more upbeat: happiness. List some things that make you happy, especially if they have nothing to do with politics. I'll recharge and get back into the trenches tomorrow.

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

This Blog, for one...
Bittersweet rehearsal in 90 minutes, and playing music with friends, for another. As I screech my way through "Rockin in the Free World" tonight, I will think of MyDD, Common Dreams, DKOS, and be immensely relieved that I am not alone.

Thank You!

mike smith
st. louis, mo

by OxBuzzard 2005-03-03 02:09PM | 0 recs
Re: This Blog, for one...
I'd like to echo this sentiment.  MyDD is one of the places I go during the day when I need a "pick me up."  Although the events of the day often don't go our way, visiting MyDD gives me a sense of solidarity and hope.  It's like this story: A brother still sports his Kerry bumper sticker on his car. A man recently approached him and shook his hand. While pointing at the bumper sticker. He said, "I thought I was the only one."
by sawgrass727 2005-03-03 05:20PM | 0 recs
America the beautiful makes me happy
Went hiking in Zion canyon today. Big sun, true blue sky, no crowds -- a happy happy joy joy perfect day.
by candace in sonoma 2005-03-03 02:11PM | 0 recs
Red Sox winning it all in 2004
At age 33, I had started to fear I wouldn't see it in my lifetime, but the Red Sox won it all this past year.  Watching the Red Sox win the World Series is still reverberating with me, and, I think, with many other members of Red Sox Nation.

If I can go back to politics for just a minute, does anyone think Theo Epstein could be persuaded to give up his day job and take on Romney in 2006?

by scd2 2005-03-03 02:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Red Sox winning it all in 2004
My unhappiness at the Cardinal no-show cancels out your happiness. Sorry.
by OxBuzzard 2005-03-04 06:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Red Sox winning it all in 2004
But my happiness at the Red Sox winning reinvokes his happiness. ;)

I've been a Cincinnati Reds fan forever. They are starting their own futility streak but I'll never forget that run in the 70's where they first took out the Red Sox in 75' and then the Yankees in 76'. Of course the Red Sox went to 7 games in that famous series whereas they swept the Yankees in 4. I've wanted the Red Sox to win ever since and was excited that they finally broke through.

by Curt Matlock 2005-03-05 05:10AM | 0 recs
Re: Red Sox winning it all in 2004
Yeah, if the Cards had to lose, I would have picked Boston...right up until that Rams/Pats Super Bowl. No, actually, I was happy for them, they were a cool team to come back on the Yankees. Our guys seem to grip it a bit tighter when the pressure is on.

Say, that new ballpark in Cincy, are the fans and taxpayers happy with it? Just curious as Busch is closing this year.

by OxBuzzard 2005-03-05 06:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Red Sox winning it all in 2004
I can't speak for people who live in Cincy but the mentions I've seen of their ballpark is very favorable. If you've been to Busch then you know what Riverfront was like because the two were very close in design. I hated watching games in Riverfront unless you could get to the lower level. I was at a game back in the 80s, in the third deck, and the turf was so bleached I kept losing the ball in it. I haven't been to Great American yet but there is no way it could not be a huge improvement over Riverfront.
by Curt Matlock 2005-03-05 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Red Sox winning it all in 2004
Thanks. The Cards new ballpark was sold to us based on the Rangers park in Arlington. I love baseball, and was wondering how new parks were going over in real "baseball"-y  towns, like Cincy and Detroit, that just got new digs.
by OxBuzzard 2005-03-05 10:46AM | 0 recs
Happy when
with my wonderful girlfriend, Snowboarding at Mammoth Mtn, CA, mountain biking, and eating good Sushi.
by buckfush 2005-03-03 02:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Happy when
Never been out to CA for skiing/boarding, but if you want kick ass snowboarding try Ischgl, Austria right on the Swiss border - was there a year ago.  I just got back from skiing and boarding in Breckingridge/Keystone/A-Basin and the Alps kick Colorado's ass for powder and overall quality of skiing/boarding.  The vertical drop is about 5000 feet!

And with current airfares and lodge rates the price isn't much different.  Only speaking broken German was the hard part, but most everyone was accommodating when we were there.

by Kentucky Blogger 2005-03-03 03:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Happy when
"Skiing a 4 mile run that starts in Austria and ends at an outdoor bar in Switzerland - now that's happiness."

Holy Shit! That sounds like happines to me. I've never been outside CA for snow...

by buckfush 2005-03-04 07:07AM | 0 recs
Just grateful for MyDD today;
and knowing how you feel.  As I look back over my little blog, I see so many times when I've written basically the same thing.  I feel whupped most of the time now, but force myself to pick up my sword every day and go stalking the net looking for the enemy - and I'm a 56 year old grandma with pretty much no computer skills or knowlege, not a hell of a lot of education, and no particular talent.  About the only thing I know something about is religion; and I am aching to take down the Religious Wrong.  SO I get my rounds from here and some other blogs, then go out huntin' every day.

Right now I smell the sweet olive outside my window here in South Texas, hear the dogs down the street barking for something or other, and hear the kids on their big wheels, laughing.  Life is still good, there's a bottle of cheap red in the kitchen, a little bit of butter and some thin slices of beef tenderloin in the fridge, and the 57 year old grandpa I sleep with is due home pretty soon.  So I guess I can ustrap my sword for the night, and rest.  You do the same.  See ya' tomorrow.

by dksbook 2005-03-03 02:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Just grateful for MyDD today;
so nice to hear from someone over 45.  it gets a little young around here.
by aiko 2005-03-03 03:37PM | 0 recs
Dave Van Ronk . . .
singin' "Would You Like to Swing on A Star".
by cs 2005-03-03 03:01PM | 0 recs
Waterfalls
Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis makes me happy.
That Jesus died so I could be reconciled with God makes me happy.
That Paul Wellstone lived in my time makes me happy.
People organize for the interests of their communities--that makes me happy.
Greg Brown singing and playing guitar makes me happy.

One time I was lying down in the grass off a hiking trail, stressing out trying to plan a Bible lesson that would be relevant to my church's youth.  It was on Nicodemus, the guy who ran at night to Jesus and asked about being 'born again' as though it were a literal rebirth.  "But how am I supposed to crawl up into my mother's womb?"  I had my Bible open before me and was praying for God to help me understand how to reach my youth with this message.  I opened my eyes from prayer and saw that a big black muddy paw had just stepped on the pages of the story.  Not moving my head, I looked over the rims of my sunglasses into the panting face of a black lab.  Once we made eye contact it gave me one big lick from my nostrils to my forehead, then it ran off to rejoin its jogging master.
Being loved and helping others to feel loved makes me happy.
(incidentally, it had the same effect on Nicodemus)

by Zhirrad 2005-03-03 03:21PM | 0 recs
brown paper packages tied up with string
by plunkitt 2005-03-03 03:42PM | 0 recs
happy when
I'm working in my orchard in early spring, as the trees come back to life and fulfill what had seemed all winter to be a fragile promise.  My heart swells as I go my rounds every morning, following the progress of the tiny new leaves as they burst out all over.  I return several times each day, and linger outdoors long past twilight scanning the trees.  Long before they reach bloom I find myself unable to sleep, waking up before dawn and rushing outdoors again to take it all in.  I really don't know what is wrong with me.  But I'm happy.
by smintheus 2005-03-03 04:33PM | 0 recs
I don't know about you guys...
...But this made me pretty damned happy.
by craverguy 2005-03-03 04:47PM | 0 recs
Happy
I'm just happy that I've decided to get off the sidelines and do something.  It will take a lot of time, effort, and other people's involvement, but at least the process has begun.

Paul
Bring Ohio Home

by bringohiohome 2005-03-03 04:47PM | 0 recs
Simple Things
The slice of pizza I'm eating and beer I'm drinking, mmmmmmmmmmm
by epv72 2005-03-03 04:50PM | 0 recs
Hmmm
Bourbon.
by Tod Westlake 2005-03-03 04:56PM | 0 recs
happiness is...
hanging out with my two beautiful, smart, funny daughters.  I take great comfort in the fact that they have dual citizenship -- U.S. and Ireland.  When the Iran bombing starts, we're outta here.
by evap 2005-03-03 05:11PM | 0 recs
The simplicity of children...
...is refreshing.

When trying to cheer up her woebegone mother one day, my three year old niece said, "Think happy thoughts. Chocolate cake. Playground. Pet store."

by sawgrass727 2005-03-03 05:12PM | 0 recs
fighting...
Fighting against republicans and fundementalists, getting knocked down, getting back up and fighting again makes me happy.

Fighting, suffering, getting a bloddy lip, etc. for what I believe in makes me happy.

Standing up for what I know what is right, even when (espescially when) I know it's going to screw with me or my life, makes  me happy.

Working towards the goal of dying with no regrets makes me happy.

And, most of all, Love- for my wife, my family, my city (Philly), my people (humans), my world, the universe(al)- makes me happy.

by Alex Urevick 2005-03-03 05:48PM | 0 recs
Re: fighting...
I meant "for what I know is right"

And I second the bourbon comment.

by Alex Urevick 2005-03-03 05:49PM | 0 recs
Mmmmmm... goooood coffee...
Chris, ol' captain, when I am feeling lower than a basset hound's left nut, you know what makes me happy?

HOME ROASTED COFFEE...  Ahhhh...

(That's me, going, ahhhhh...)

It's so simple.  All you need is a plain old hot-air popcorn maker like they sell for $17 at Target.  And a few ounces of green coffee beans, which you can buy at several good sites on the Internet.  (sweetmarias.com is my fave)  Freshly roasted coffee tastes a dozen times better than regular coffee.  There's no comparison.  Coffee beans lose their flavor very quickly, actually, after they are roasted.

I just had me a big ol' pipin' hot cup of Nicaragua Margogype.  Mmmm... Mama!

It's like a religious hyper-sexual experience.  All your senses are concentrated on one moment of pure sensory overload.  Good coffee has depth to it, something that can just rock you back and make you go, what the fuck was that?

Green coffee beans are cheap.  Some of the best quality beans you can buy are less than $5 a pound.  I'm most fond of Ethiopian dry-processed coffee, made from heirloom beans.  I roast mine up to the second crack (just before it would become dark-roast), then dump it.  That's about 6 minutes in my popper.

by Dumbo 2005-03-03 09:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Mmmmmm... goooood coffee...
Hey this caught my eye...I've never tried roasting my own coffee.  So you just dump beans into a popcorn popper, nothing else?  Could you roast them in a pan or wok, or do they need to be air-heated?
by smintheus 2005-03-04 09:22AM | 0 recs
Some things that make me happy
Godspell & Jesun Christ Superstar.  I'm not a true believer, I just like the music and the movies.

My two fuzzy cats.

Loves Labours Lost, the musical Kenneth Branagh film.

Beatles songs.

by Ben Varkentine 2005-03-03 10:06PM | 0 recs
myDD (the best of all blogs),
. . . rubbing the belly of my new dog; explaining the meaning of "Catch 22" to my 10 year old and watching him get it; watching the sunrise over the snowy fields here in central NJ; snuggling with my husband night after night; listening to India Arie; the silence in the house when the kids leave for school and my "other work" can begin; knowing that I'm using everything I've got to build a better future for all; and knowing I'm not alone.  Oh, and Pema Chodron, who reminds us that the work isn't about happiness, at least not the way most of us think of it.
by pammo 2005-03-04 03:01AM | 0 recs
EPA Director - WATCHOUT
The Energy Industry donated 120 million
to Bush's campaign, according to Joe Kennedy.

And now, they're appointing, as head of the EPA,
a guy who proposes limits on mercury and emissions
that are lower than what we have now.

80% of Americans want tougher environmental
regulation.

The fox is going to be appointed
to guard the henhouse, just like
Harvey Pitt on the SEC and
the former bunch.

Should Stephen L. Johnson be appointed
head of the EPA?

by turnerbroadcasting 2005-03-04 04:07AM | 0 recs
Happiness
^^^ That doesn't sound very "happy"....

N-E-Ways...

I am happy that I have a beautiful 10mo old daughter.

I am happy that I have a strong and satisfying marriage.

I am happy that I have good friends.

I am happy that there are millions upon millions of people like me that aren't going to take the crap our government is shoveling sitting down. We're going to fight until we win. And we will win.

by John in Chicago 2005-03-04 04:33AM | 0 recs
New website
New website at www.stopanncoulter.com if anyone is interested. Check it out if you get a chance.
by Dave151 2005-03-04 05:39AM | 0 recs
Happy to wear shorts running the Iditarod
The great alaskan race, the Iditarod,
has been altered.

Its course path has been moved north
because the snow melted off
its normal path this year..

"will be run on a course slightly altered because unseasonably warm weather erased some of the snow."

this year, polar bears were happy to
give birth in siberia in the dead of
winter because it was so warm there.

shining, happy sunshine melting the
polar ice caps -- mm that delicious
melt ice. just can't wait till it
comes rushing up my front door...
oh.. if you're in california,
you don't need any more rain, do you?

Wasn't it, the most rain you've received
in 100 years..

I am happy to be an independent. I am
happy that my axe blade is sharp.

by turnerbroadcasting 2005-03-04 05:39AM | 0 recs
Watching trees grow
We bought our place about 5 years ago and one of the first things I did was to plant 6 trees. When I stop to consider them I usually find I feel myself grounded and pleased by their slow and steady progress.  Plant a tree, watch it grow and feel yourself connected to the earth...that makes me happy.
by vrtlczyk 2005-03-04 06:00AM | 0 recs