Open Thread

Basketball is now officially a parasite sucking on my brainwaves. It won't get any better soon, either. Talk about what I can't with this open thread.

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

March Madness
Check out some March Madness - Iraqi style

Make sure to fill out your brackets!

by QuasiMotive 2005-03-17 11:45AM | 0 recs
Re: March Madness
Sorry Wrong link - here's the real link:

Check out some March Madness - Iraqi style

Make sure to fill out your brackets!

by QuasiMotive 2005-03-17 01:38PM | 0 recs
Feedback
I was wondering what you all thought about what should be done about Iraq from here on out.  I mean, I know that we went on Iraq on erroneous pretense and that it was a mistake to start.  But what should we do now?  Drop everything and leave?  Wait until the new government is 'established'?  I know that if I had kept more up with the postings I'd already know this, so sorry.
by Freedom Fighter 2005-03-17 12:02PM | 0 recs
March Madness
I will have all the scores up at my blog
by kydem 2005-03-17 12:42PM | 0 recs
Re: March Madness
KYDEM,

Are you a Kentucky Fan, Louisville or something else?

by yitbos96bb 2005-03-17 12:48PM | 0 recs
Re: March Madness
I always report UK scores.  Does that tell you anything?  I may be from Louisville but I bleed BLUE.
by kydem 2005-03-17 12:51PM | 0 recs
Re: March Madness
I had both in the Sweet 16.  Wake is down by 5 in the first half.  That's the fun in the brackets--the upsets!
by kydem 2005-03-17 02:51PM | 0 recs
Re: March Madness
You haven't watched Pitt much this year, have you?

This wasn't even remotely the same team they've had the last few years.

by jcjcjc 2005-03-17 05:15PM | 0 recs
this is why...
i didn't bother to fill out a bracket.  i've only followed maybe five college teams this year.

but come the NBA finals, i am going to lay claim to that front page post!  LOL

by annatopia 2005-03-18 04:50AM | 0 recs
Re: March Madness
If your NCAA bracket blew up...just follow along with an iNCAA bracket

Check out this bracket with `Iraqi teams'

And here's some commentary by Gumby Bryant on the `Coalition of the Willing's bracket

enjoy!

by QuasiMotive 2005-03-18 06:30AM | 0 recs
A New Daily
Introducing the newest Daily to hit the scene.  This one is The DailyGround Cafe now accessible from http://daily.commongroundcommonsense.org/

We are mostly interested in producing good arguments on issues that represent a positive compromise on issues without jeapordizing one's principles.

by goplies 2005-03-17 12:58PM | 0 recs
Re: A New Daily
i'm going to plug a new blog, too.  my friend randy mayeaux started a blog: occassional markings.  randy was a very early dean adopter, and he's a progressive christian minister.  he is truly one of my favorite people and i hope yall will take the time to visit his site.
by annatopia 2005-03-18 04:52AM | 0 recs
Hi Chris
I live in Philly and a friend of mine is Mark Tulloss, who you might know from the Dean thing.

Either way, I hope you check out my new scoop site Booman Tribune.

We've got Susan Hu, Pastor Dan, and Maryscott O'Connor over there, and we're having fun.

And maybe we can work together on the next Philly elections.

by BooMan 2005-03-17 01:33PM | 0 recs
Ugh butchered the html
just try http://www.boomantribune.com
by BooMan 2005-03-17 01:35PM | 0 recs
DeLay Driving Me Mad!
I can't take these anti-DeLay ads anymore!

Every time I open a page there is another copy of Tom DeLay just staring at me with that ugly smirk.

Please give money to the Public Campaign Action Fund so they reach their goal quicker and can take down those ads!

The Santorum ads at least have Rick looking friendly. True, he looks the same kind of friendly you see in a car salesman when an elderly lady walks on the lot but at least he doesn't have that self-satisfied smirk worn by DeLay!

Thank goodness after November 2006 there will no longer be a need to look at those two except to gloat and remember what jerks they were when they held office.

by Curt Matlock 2005-03-17 02:16PM | 0 recs
freebie
New DFA stickers....  from James Dean.
by Jerome Armstrong 2005-03-17 03:32PM | 0 recs
w00t - freebies!
i've still got two blue dean for america stickers on the back of my honda.  they're the only campaign stickers from last cycle that haven't faded or peeled off, and boy do they stand out amongst all the stupid ovular "w" stickers i see around town.  i still get the occassional honk & thumbs up from my fellow drivers.  i'm so glad i never peeled them off (as if!).  this new freebie will make a nice addition.  thanks for the heads up.
by annatopia 2005-03-18 04:48AM | 0 recs
A new low in media coverage of important news
I just turned on Sportcenter to get an update on all the games I missed and they were covering the stinking STEROID SOAP OPERA!

Excuse me while I go hurl massive chunks.

by Gary Boatwright 2005-03-17 07:12PM | 0 recs
Re: A new low in media coverage of important news
espn's been covering that crap for two days straight now.  this is almost as bad as the MJ trial.  UG.
by annatopia 2005-03-18 04:49AM | 0 recs
Funniest Thiing I Heard
Was a local sports talk station quizzing "Sadaam Hussein" about his brackets...

Sadaam:  I have picked the only terrorist group to win it all...

Al-Abama

Host:  What do you think of Nevada?

Sadaam:  Not too fond of any school with the initials U.N.

by jgkojak 2005-03-17 07:28PM | 0 recs
Mac or PC?
I need a new laptop.  I've become incresingly frustrated with windows98 and its frequent (several times daily) crashes.  But I'm wary of learning a new OS and variations in apps.  Is XP significantly better so as not to worry? Or should I geet a new iBook?
by plunkitt 2005-03-18 06:26AM | 0 recs
XP is significantly better
Win XP is much more stable and secure in all aspects, especially after Service Pack 2 has been installed.

However, there's nothing wrong with a Mac.  I'm a Windows guy, but that's mainly because I play games on my computer, and Mac's selection of such is massively lacking.  Provided you don't play games or need any speciality program that is Windows only, either would be a good choice.

by Geotpf 2005-03-18 06:48AM | 0 recs
Arctic Drilling White Knight?
Somebody correct me where I'm wrong, but yesterday's Medicaid stalemate in the Senate is very intriguing:

The Senate stripped a $14 billion Medicaid cut from the Budget resolution, which means an impending battle with the House in conference. The House passed $62 billion(?) or so in entitlement cuts. It's therefore at least possible that there won't be a budget resolution this year -- which means NO reconciliation (the stage where actual law is changed to align with spending priorities)... It's during reconciliation that ANWR would be formally opened up for drilling (remember, the vote the other day was to earmark drilling fees -- i.e., anticipated revenue in the budget)... No reconciliation = NO drilling... Without the cover of Senate budget rules, the pro-drilling forces would lose their filibuster protection...

I think (again, somebody correct me if this is wrong) Congress failed to pass a resolution in 2004, so it had to push appropriations based on the previous year...

Hank...