What publications do you read?

I am, after all, not just a blogosphere junkie, but a general news/world affairs kind of junkie who reads a number of publications on a consistent basis (and many others on a not so current basis).

Firstly, my (more or less) daily reads (non-blog form):

NYTimes - yes, I've taken my shots at the "old grey lady" (and it deserves them), but this is still learned America's paper. Liberal-ish, but not as liberal as conservatives think, it remains the standard.

WaPo - its editorial page is rather gormless and tends (at least under Fred Hiatt's auspices) to be a "stenographer to power." But I think the WaPo has arguably the best political reporting in the country. But really, I read it (and I got my girlfriend to read it) because it is to American politics what the WSJ is to American business.

The Guardian - the best liberal English language news source in the world, IMO. The liberal counterpart to the Economist. For me (as a British citizen, perhaps I'm a bit biased), British media is in some ways the best media in the world to read because: unlike the US media, it tends to be less solipsistic and self-absorbed and more cosmopolitan (because Britons are forced to look outside their borders in a way Americans aren't), it tends to be much less deferential to power, and yet it benefits from sharing a language with the world's main superpower. Essentially the Bible of learned opinion amongst the British intelligentsia, particularly of New Labour.

Le Monde - now, probably most of you don't read French, and I don't read it especially well (I'm in the process of learning). But LeMonde, for me, is kind of the European version of the NYT - a "paper of record" for Continental Europe.

The Economist - a weekly, but it is the ideal counterpoint to the left-leaning Guardian. I don't agree with the Economist a lot of the time, but it is always worth reading. For me, the Economist represents the thinking of the American business/opinion leader class better than the WSJ (primarily because the WSJ's ed page is wingnut central). In terms of CW, a good counterpart to the WaPo(not counterpoint - its editorial slant is essentially the same, although its beat is the global economy, not US politics).

Less frequently consulted sources:

The Financial Times - the "Bible" of the "City," or Britain's equivalent of Wall Street. Excellent for its coverage of global political economy, and interesting to compare to the WSJ - shows the difference between the European and the American business classes worlviews - a subtle, but important distinction. For example, both are pro-globalization, but the WSJ strongly backed the Iraq War; the FT didn't

The New Republic - another CW Bible, this time, the Bible for inside the beltway Dems. It takes a lot of flak on this website, and the presence of increasingly loony Martin Peretz is a distraction. But its reporting is good on the whole, and one can get a good beat on what the Washington Dems are thinking by reading it. I'm an online subscriber.

WSJ - yeah, its editorial page is wingnutty. But the rest of the paper is solid - arguably, its reporting is better than that of the NYTimes on a number of issues. The kind of thing I will buy in an airport. Its webpages are generally firewalled to nonsubscribers (and I ain't forking out the 90 odd bucks they want from me)

The New Left Review - a bi-monthly that publishes on a diverse set of topics with writers from all over the world. Not surprisingly, it is a left wing publication, but it is a real left wing publication. More Americans could benefit from seeing such views - the Democrats would suddenly seem pretty damn conservative in comparison (which, of course, they really are). Similar to the Economist in its cosmopolitanism, its much weightier stuff than any domestic left wing rag.

Foreign Affairs - kind of a CW foreign policy bimonthly journal that espouses a kind of center-right, neo-liberal line not unsimilar to the Economist or the WaPo editorial page. A number of very important articles have been published here, including George Kennan's "Mr.X" piece outlining the US Cold War policy of containment, Samuel Huntingdon's "Clash of Civilizations" trailer, and most recently, a very important piece by JL Gaddis on Bush's foreign policy mistakes and successes. This journal is often used as a way of not-so-subtely getting a point across to those in power.

Foreign Policy - somewhat similar to Foreign Affairs, but tends to be more eclectic in the political view points it publishes. I've read stuff in the same issue by a radicals like Slavoj Zizek and rightwingers like Max Boot.

Anyway, this is where I get my news. Where do you get yours?

Tags: Media (all tags)

Comments

My reads.
The New York Times and The Nation.
by craverguy 2005-03-01 08:28PM | 0 recs
I read...
...The Economist. My father gets it and recycles it through our household. I read the NYT & WaPo online plus the local fish wrap... the Minneapolis Tribune - a Gannet paper. Not terrible - the fish heads rarely complain.

As an American I can't trust our media so try to get multiple takes as much as possible... then come here and dkos & TPM & Left Coast to see if what I am seeing is what others are seeing too...

...helps to keep them honest, honest as thieves can be expected to be.

by dryfly 2005-03-01 08:33PM | 0 recs
My reads
New York Times
Washington Post
Guardian
Aljazzeera net.english
Yahoo News
Buzzflash
Media Matters
MyDD

In the keep your enemys closer category

Washington Times
Free Republic
(sometimes they break leaked stories and plus
sometimes civil war breaks out in Freeper land
example: Sean Hannity)

probably a whole lot more the net. lets you
surf a really long wave.

notice no M$M

sometimes Keith Obermann..or a PBS news poll

by Aslanspal 2005-03-01 08:52PM | 0 recs
I read
Primary reads:
NYT
WaPo (less frequently)

The "left":
ZMag (best radical publication)
The Nation (best traditional left publication)
TNR (yes, I do consider it a decent paper, it recently has been pretty good on Iraq)
Harpers
The New Yorker (Sy Hersh is awesome)
The Austin Chronicle (progressive, primary weekly of the city)

The "right":
The Economist (the NYT of the right IMO)
Austin-American Statesman (center-right, primary paper of my city)

by Ramo 2005-03-01 08:56PM | 0 recs
Weighing In
NY Times, WaPo, LA Times, SFGate, The Economist (when I get around to it), The New Yorker, Foreign Affairs, American Prospect, occasionally the Nation, The Guardian and other less exciting stuff.
by risenmessiah 2005-03-01 09:23PM | 0 recs
Well...
In no particular order...

Papers

NY Times
WaPo
* The Hill * (Great coverage of Congress; free)
The Portland Oregonian
Portland Tribune
Salem Statesman Journal
Forward (America's Jewish weekly newspaper)
Magazines

The New Yorker
The Economist
Washington Monthly
National Journal (as long as I'm on a  four-week free trial)
Slate
Downbeat (the best jazz magazine)
by Jonathan Singer 2005-03-01 09:28PM | 0 recs
Interesting
I picked up a subscription to a service called Keep Media for $26/yr. that gives me access to The National Interest (neo-con mag started by Kristol), Esquire and TNR. There are a bunch of others, and they send me suggested articles related to topics I have read about on their site.

I also have a subscription to the Nation, Sojourner's and Dissent.

by Gary Boatwright 2005-03-01 09:38PM | 0 recs
NY Times
I'm required to read it MTWTF for adv. writing.
but I get my news...from Jon Stewart.

In all seriousness, I look at the headlines for comedy jokes.  I just wait too long to read them.  I just finished reading 2/7 to 2/28 yesterday

by kydem 2005-03-02 03:23AM | 0 recs
Reading
Pretty loyal to ...

The American Prospect
Time
Washington Post

And, on the state/local level ...

Georgia Trend
Bill Shipp's publication (and his columns)
Athens Banner-Herald (local paper)
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
The Flagpole (local independent)

by GaDem 2005-03-02 03:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Reading
And, almost forgot, as JollyBuddah noted ... Sojourners is an excellent read for politically progressive Christians.
by GaDem 2005-03-02 03:28AM | 0 recs
Wired
In addition to what's mentioned, I read Wired (online version plus daily Wired News).

Plenty of great material re: politics and technology, privacy, etc.

Also /.

by cscs 2005-03-02 03:54AM | 0 recs
sources of news
dead tree:
The Nation
The Economist
Business Week
local rag (Waterbury Republican-American, quite possibly the worst newspaper you ever will read)

online:
BBC
Slashdot
Kos
MyDD
Talking Points
Americablog
politech mailing list
CNN (very occasionally only)

mp

by pdxlooie 2005-03-02 03:56AM | 0 recs
Re: sources of news

Can't resist:
   Try the Morgantown, WV Dominion Post.  I bet it's worse.  Most people read the WVU student paper instead--they report more news.  (The Post does print Howard Dean's column on Sundays though, but after all week with Cal Thomas and his cronies, it's not really balanced.)

by The lurking ecologist 2005-03-02 04:08AM | 0 recs
And these, too
Read most of the periodicals cited above at some point, not all of them with same frequency.

I also check these two sites for breaking news:

Newseum

World Newspapers

Both offer a selection of links to newspapers around the world.  Never ceases to amaze me what the press in this country does in contrast.

I also read these:

Christian Science Monitor

MotherJones

Utne Reader

And occasionally even Playboy.  Yeah, I know, go figure, but they've actually had content from Hunter S. Thompson and Jim Hightower.  Infrequent, but what the heck, I'll take good progressive content where I can get it.  It keeps my centrist spouse off my back, too, about the piles of Foreign Policy laying around (Here, go read a Playboy, she says).

by RayneToday 2005-03-02 03:58AM | 0 recs
www.blinko.com
Blinko is a great place to start - it gives top five headlines from NYT, WaPo, CNN, Yahoo, Slate, Time, Smoking Gun, and a dozen others.  So that's my first stop.

I also read Harper's, Utne, The Sun, National Geographic, Scientific American.

Others:  LATimes, Miami Herald, Guardian

by Screwy Hoolie 2005-03-02 04:02AM | 0 recs
Old and new
I have to admit. I don't read the left-wing press at all. I read left-wing blogs and they filter to me what it's important and what's not.  I find the internet to be a much better source of left-center information than the paper press by and large. MyDD is one of my favorite sources, as well as:
DailyKos
TPM
Matthew Yglesias
Kevin Drum
Pandagon
Atrios (more for the humor than anything else)
Oliver Willis (more for the Democratic mudslinging fun than for information)

On the rightish side of the blogsophere, I like:
Belgravia Dispatch
Andrew Sullivan
OxBlog
Eugene Volokh

As for mainstream news sources, I read them all on-line. Some I read only for sports coverage but my favorites are:

Domestic:
Washington Post
NY Times
Chicago Tribune (hometown paper - ed. page is useless but reporting on domestic issues, especially the death penalty, is top notch)
Denver Post (Broncos coverage)
NY Daily News (Mets coverage and occasionally good reporting)

Right wing:
NY Post - mostly because I also get to read the excellent sports section but the headlines are just beautiful. Who can forget "Marv gets the pink slip"?

WSJ - Unfortunately it's subscriber only so I pick this up if I see it on paper. WSJ has some of the best business and work-related coverage anywhere, period. The left-hand column often interrogates some of the more troublesome consequences of capitalism better than many left-wing publications. I ignore the Ed. page of course but the general coverage is excellent.

Foreign:
Guardian
The Independent (more strident than the Guardian)
Al Jazeera in English (for all its flaws it has great coverage of the Middle East. I suspect the TV station is more "radical" than the website, which is pretty tame but informative
Daily Star of Lebanon
Dawn of Pakistan
Sydney Morning Herald

by elrod 2005-03-02 04:08AM | 0 recs
One to think about
I don't read it yet, but I was thinking about Der Spiegel.  My German isn't up to snuff.  I should practice with some tapes, but I see that they also have an English language version.
by Abby 2005-03-02 04:19AM | 0 recs
Repetition
Most of these have been mentioned, but here it goes:

Online:
Salon
WaPo
NYTimes
All KY Papers (mostly just bus./politics sections)
Yahoo News (usually just the AP/Reuters)

Print:
Mother Jones
The Nation
Newsweek
Wired
National Geog. Traveler (a surprising amount of cultural information)
Courier Journal (Louisville Paper)

Blogs:
DKos
MyDD
Atrios
Josh Marshall
Kevin Drum
Various Kentucky Related Blogs
Assorted Others

There's others, but those are the most habitual.

by Kentucky Blogger 2005-03-02 04:58AM | 0 recs
Kentucky
Where is the progressive heart of Kentucky? Louisville's Bardstown Road? Lexington's University area?  I was shocked last summer when I sat down in a bar in Lebanon, KY (Marion County) and got into a discussion about politics with the locals and EVERYBODY thought Bush was a disaster and all supported Kerry. Yet I kept reading (and the election bore it out) that Bush won easily in KY. I know the hardcore Republican areas are South-central KY (Laurel County especially) and outer suburban Louisville (Hurstborne) as well as outer suburban Lex (Jessamine County). So what part of the state is most favorable to progressive candidates? I live in Evanston, IL but travel to KY often for research on my dissertation.
by elrod 2005-03-02 08:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Kentucky
Lebanon is predominately Democrat because it sits in Marion County which is politically controlled by the George family (their last name).  They're comprised of lawyers and judges and fairly wealthy landowners.  Members of the extended family can be found in the judiciary in prominent law firms, they own businesses, and can be found all over the state, including  all the way into Louisville and up into Frankfort.

Its widely considered that as go the Georges so goes Lebanon.  I grew up not too many counties away and visited Lebanon regularly.  I also know most of the Georges that are judges and the lawyers too.

In fact, most of KY is registered Democrat and Clinton carried the state both elections.  In 2000 Gore didn't campaign here and the state party was a hodgepodge of turf protectors - no organization whatsoever.  In 2004 the gay marriage amendment was on the ballot - there was no way anyone that didn't bash gays would ever overcome that.  Over the past couple years the last Democratic governor was plagued with sex scandals and financial improprieties - damage control took all the time and money.

by Kentucky Blogger 2005-03-02 01:28PM | 0 recs
If its US corporate media, forget it.
Sellout corporate whores!

Instead I only partake in CSPAN, NPR, and Al Jazeera for the frontline scoops in the mideast. Anything else can kiss my ass.

by Vote Hillary 2008 2005-03-02 05:01AM | 0 recs
What to read
I read the Wash Post, NY Times, LA Times, FT and Wall Street Journal every day. I thumb thru The Economist. I've known several people who write or have written for The Economist and their common complaint is that their pieces are completely re-written in London to fit the editorial slant of the magazine. Writers complaining about editors is nothing new, but when certain facts are omitted from stories because the editors find they inconveniently contradict the magazine's politics, that's something else entirely. In other words, take The Economist with a grain of salt.

The Guardian is often good, though it increasingly tends towards anti-Americanism, which it confuses with opposition to the Bush admin foreign policy. The National Journal is hugely expensive, but required reading for anyone who wants to be truly informed about the doings in Washington, D.C. It's indispensable and I never miss it. The New Republic is often good. Yes, Peretz is a nutball, just ignore him and move on. There'll be another good article on the next page. The American Prospect is slowly improving. The Nation is not. I like Washington Monthly a lot.

The best magazines in the world are the New Yorker and New York Review of Books. Hands-down, it's not even close.

British newspapers are inferior to American newspapers, which is rather surprising considering Britain's long and lustrous history of producing fine writers. Virtually all the British newspapers are middle market or down market now. The Times of London is a shadow of its former self. The FT is good, but not quite in the same class as the WSJ. There is not a paper in Britain to compare with the NY Times.

by The Bandit 2005-03-02 05:06AM | 0 recs
news
NY Times
DemocracyNow.org
MSNBC
NPR.org
BBC.com
Salt Lake Tribune

unrelated to reading, i often watch Fox News Sunday...need to keep an eye on the enemy and how they think.

by ypsilanti 2005-03-02 06:19AM | 0 recs
not mentioned yet...
in addition to many of the media outlets mentioned upthread, i would also recommend Asia Times Online, Miami Herald (excellent coverage of the caribbean nations), and the Dallas Observer (alt-weekly).  And I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Salon yet.

So in a nutshell, here's my list.
Papers:  WaPo, LA Times, Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Star Telegram, NYT, Miami Herald
Alt-weeklys:  Dallas Observer, Fort Worth Weekly, Austin Chronicle
Mags:  Wired, New Yorker, Vanity Fair
Foreign: UK's Guardian, UK's Independent, Asia Times Online, Al Jazeera, the Moscow Times
Misc/TV: Countdown on MSNBC (2-3 times per week), C-Span (I'm a junkie), Deutsche Welle TV (excellent German news source broadcast in English, also has great EU financial coverage)
Bogs:  everything on my blogroll + Salon.com

by annatopia 2005-03-02 06:41AM | 0 recs
Re: not mentioned yet...
shoot.  i forgot.  also on my foreign reading list is the BBC.
by annatopia 2005-03-02 06:42AM | 0 recs
time
Wow, how many hours/week do people read? Not even mentioned here is the book reading. I wish I had more time to read, instead I sit and rot in L.A. traffic. Well, at least I get Air America and Talk Left on satellite radio...
by buckfush 2005-03-02 06:57AM | 0 recs
What about the Nation?
I'd much rather read the Nation than the New Republic since the Nation has the ears of the real left in this country - while the NR is more in line with the status quo Dem circles.
by unionmark 2005-03-02 07:08AM | 0 recs
WSJ and other comments
A number of years ago my wife forbade me from reading the WSJ because she would often come down in the morning and I'd have the paper in front of me and be fuming. My area of expertise is technology (computers and networks) and I would often find articles that were little more than press releases under a different title. My problem was that if WSJ wanted to report on technology, they should spend the time reporting and investigating rather than just reprinting press releases. I began to wonder what other sloppy or self serving reporting was going on in areas where I had less direct knowledge. Since then, I read WSJ with a huge bag of salt and apply the principle of 'follow the money'

Here are some other daily reads that may be interesting

The Observer: http://www.nyobserver.com/pages/conason.asp
A bit out there but Consan is good.

Asahi  Shimbun: Used to live in japan so this is an interesting perspective http://www.asahi.com/english/index.html

International Herald Tribune: www.iht.com

World Newspapers Online: http://www.actualidad.com/
Worth browsing to see a variety of sources. The Hindustan Times has become on of my favorites

by elemgee 2005-03-02 07:09AM | 0 recs
James Wollcott Blog
Steve Gilliard
Salon
The Nation
The Progressive
American Prospect

I only read the free offerings at TNR, and I don't consider Martin Peretz a distraction.  He is there central guiding light and I am glad they are doing badly.

by noalternative 2005-03-02 08:32AM | 0 recs
Learn a Foreign Language
I'd like to put in a plug for politiken.dk (Copenhagen) and lanacion.com.ar (Buenos Aires), for those of you who read the languages.  Small countries must, of necessity, pay attention to the state of the States.  Their prosperity depends on proper reading of the tea leaves, so they display little tolerance for self-serving nonsense.

If you don't have a second language, go get one.

I had a chilling moment some months ago, before the election.  Grover Norquist gave an interview with El Pais, in which he held forth on the need to crush certain groups - professors, trial lawyers, the usual rabble - so as to ensure the future of Republican dominance in America. Grover and company are masters at wielding the language to make the program sound as palatable as possible; stripped of mother-tongue eloquence, reduced to the level "paraphrasable semantic content", it comes across as positively blood-curdling.

Even though I like to think of myself as critical in thought and resistant to the seductions of eloquence, this incident showed how I can still be suckered in by RWNM and its cunning use of the mother tongue.  We all know this, in the abstract, but I did not feel it in my bones until I stepped out and experienced it in a different world.

As an aside, no wonder the rest of the world sees the current administration as a gang of thugs; the BFEE doesn't even bother to try working its Jedi Mind Tricks in foreign languages.

by alain2112 2005-03-02 12:01PM | 0 recs
Takes a long time to learn one
I have been studying German for about a year now, and I can read basic stuff, but I am nowhere near fluent enough to read a substantial news story. Hopefully someday I will be.

But for now, sometimes I use babelfish or the Google traslate feature to read news from other countries to get their point of view. The translations come out kinda funky, but I can usually follow along pretty good. Its always interesting to read stuff that hasn't been spun by the American reporters and pundits.

As for paper: I read the Philadelphia Inquirer. That's it. And I sometimes find it difficult to find enough time to read that. I guess I spend too much time reading blogs....

by claw 2005-03-02 12:22PM | 0 recs
Another French language suggestion
courrierinternational.com

It posts, in French, articles from foreign newspapers/journals from all over the world.  This is a great way to avoid Western bias.

Anyone know of a site like this in English?

by verasoie 2005-03-02 12:34PM | 0 recs
My reads
I start with my really bad local paper, the Danbury News Times.  I finish that in about 5 minutes.  Then I go onto the big one, the NY Times.  Can't live without it.  I also read the Nation every week.
by Max Friedman 2005-03-02 01:17PM | 0 recs
On a student's schedule
As daily as possible:

Washington Post (online)
Minneapolis Star-Tribune (online)
DailyKos
MyDD
DrudgeReport
Rawstory
National Journal's Hotline (free through .edu ISP)

By subscription: