Santorum Video

The link to the videos for the Santorum event, including the College Republicans chant ("hey-hey, ho-ho, Social Security has got to go!") and the quesiton I asked Santorum, can be found here.

Send the link, or the video itself, to everyone you know. Let's see how big we can make this.

Tags: Misc (all tags)

Comments

beautiful
best video i've seen in at least a week.
by annatopia 2005-02-23 07:23AM | 0 recs
Re: beautiful
Thanks, Anna!

That means a lot.

Tim

by Tim Tagaris 2005-02-23 07:49AM | 0 recs
need to be made into an ad
essential that this video not be seen as just "funny". Remember how quickly the "I voted for it before I voted against it" video of Kerry was turned into an attack ad? The same must be done here, immediately. Whatever influence the lib blogsphere has must be brought to bear on getting this ad made.
by azizhp 2005-02-23 07:39AM | 0 recs
i second this
blogpac should turn this into a blogad immediately. that much we can do.

now who can get this on television?

by annatopia 2005-02-23 08:21AM | 0 recs
Re: i second this
the DNC if they wanted.
by fng 2005-02-23 08:22AM | 0 recs
Re: i second this
hey i just found something useful on kydem's blog.  apparently it costs less than $4,000 to run a 30 second commercial during the daily show.

hmmm....

by annatopia 2005-02-23 08:24AM | 0 recs
Re: i second this
preaching to the choir there?
by fng 2005-02-23 08:25AM | 0 recs
perhaps
but who knows?  lots of non-gen-xers watch the daily show.

i'm just thinking that advertising it on cable might be the cheapest way to go.

by annatopia 2005-02-23 09:37AM | 0 recs
Re: perhaps
true, even national cable buys are relatively inexpensive. and we'd really just have to hit the philly and pittsburgh media markets (hmmm, probably harrisburg too). i just don't see the non-gen-exer crowd being as large.

Reminds me of one of my favorite campaign news tangents. O'Reilly slamming the stoned slackers who watch the Daily Show and then Nielson raining on his parade by telling the world the real story of his faux newsies being the slackers.

by fng 2005-02-23 09:52AM | 0 recs
Re: i second this
I guess I need to email someone I kinda know that taught Jon stand-up comedy with these links and have him fwd it immediately to Jon.

If the blogosphere unites, we may be able to get an advertisement up.

This is a good idea and I'd be willing to make a small donation.

http://www.comedycentral.com/mediakit/ is the closest thing I found but deals with advertising on the website only.

by kydem 2005-02-23 08:30AM | 0 recs
Re: i second this

I hope it turns out better than the "I am Howard Dean" superbowl ad idea :)

I STILL believe fervently that had that been pulled off, Dean would be president right now.

by azizhp 2005-02-23 08:49AM | 0 recs
want to do it in Chicago
Started a thread to discuss doing a radio commercial series in Chicago.
by Carl Nyberg 2005-02-23 08:28AM | 0 recs
Re: want to do it in Chicago
hey looks like at least one candidate for 2006 is on the bandwagon:

(via TPM)

by azizhp 2005-02-23 08:50AM | 0 recs
Re: want to do it in Chicago
I've got my comedy bit up.  well, it's a work in progress.
by kydem 2005-02-23 09:08AM | 0 recs
Re: need to be made into an ad
Good fun; amusing to Santorum haters everywhere, I'm sure.

I'm not so sure it has commercial written all over it.

What we've got is a video with no "video."

We see the Senator walking into a building and people off screen -- who we never see -- chanting.

Not only is he not saying anything that could be used against him, but he is not encouraging, engaging with, or (it seems) even noticing the chanting in the background.

The lack of a memorable image and the absence of any connection between Santorum and the chanting Greek Chorus off-screen make this footage alone a weak ad.

Add a visual of the screaming mob, slap on some footage of words coming out of the Senator's mouth, plug in some haunting music and now "Who's got to go?"

by jdthompson 2005-02-24 02:14PM | 0 recs
Quality
While I did just watch High Fidelity (again) this week, I'd have to agree with annatopia.
by fng 2005-02-23 07:40AM | 0 recs
Way to go
I agree with azizhp.  Turn it into an ad.

I would say I agree with anna on this as well, but I just watched Big Daddy yesterday.  Great comedy.  I didn't even realize Jon was in it until last week.

Chris, don't THEY know who you are?  How were you let in to it?

by kydem 2005-02-23 07:42AM | 0 recs
Bowers
good job, Chris.
by ypsilanti 2005-02-23 08:10AM | 0 recs
Re: Bowers
seconded.
by DanielUA 2005-02-23 09:32AM | 0 recs
I have to say
One thing that's always bugged me about protests, and this has been a feature of pretty much every protest I've ever seen or attended - can we please raise the political discourse above the level of "hey, hey, ho, ho, ___ has got to go?"

I understand that chanting is the most effective way for a large group of people to get a message across, but can we come up with a new chant?  Something that isn't completely bereft of any meaning?

I know this is hardly the biggest issue in the world - like I said, just something that's always bugged me.

by schroeder 2005-02-23 10:37AM | 0 recs
new words, old pattern
Hey, hey, ho, ho
This chant has got to go

The slogan depleted
Shall never be repeated

by Carl Nyberg 2005-02-23 12:46PM | 0 recs
Daily Show
I sent an email to a comedian who is a mentor of mine with the links.  He knows Jon Stewart so hopefully it will be on this week.
by kydem 2005-02-23 02:01PM | 0 recs
The Santorums and speeding tickets
Rick Santorum received a speeding ticket on  9/2/01 in Loudon County, Virginia, for going 66/45 in a 45mph zone. (inactive case)
 Defendant:  SANTORUM, RICHARD J       Sex:  Male           Race:  White Caucasian (Non-Hispanic)
 Address: VERONA, PA 15147

Karen Santorum received a speeding ticket on 1/27/05 in Loudon County, Virginia, for going 71 in a 55mph zone. (active case)
 Defendant:  SANTORUM, KAREN G        Defense Attorney:
 City/State Address:  VERONA, PA 15147

Shouldn't these people be setting a better example.

Sources: http://www.searchsystems.net/

Virginia Case Court Records:   http://208.210.219.132/vadistrict/select.jsp

Loudon County General District
(search traffic active and then inactive)

by Marie Smith 2005-02-24 06:05AM | 0 recs
More video?
Is more of this video available?

If so, a concerted effort should be made to identify the "Ho Hoers," because sooner or later one of more of those little scumbags will run for office, and that video could (and should) be used to make their lives miserable.

Cheers.