Two-Faced McCain: "I'm not racist, I just hang out with racists."

More fun from liberal star John McCain:

Today, Senator John McCain is heading to Alabama to host a fundraiser for George Wallace Jr., who is running for Lieutenant Governor in a contested primary. Wallace has given four speeches in front of the Council of Conservative Citizens, a white supremacist group that was created from the mailing list of the old White Citizens Councils and has been identified by the Southern Poverty Law Center as growing more openly "radical and racist" in recent years. However, Wallace claims he sees "nothing hateful" in the group which opposes interracial marriage, hate crime legislation, and "Afrocentric" education in schools. In 2000, McCain took George Bush to task for speaking at Bob Jones University without condemning their policy against interracial dating.

This is just like McCain backing Intelligent Design or his near perfect extreme record on abortion.  No one really gets that he's cutting deals with crypto-racists and right-wing nuts, so he can present himself as a moderate reformer.  He's not.  He's two-faced.  He'll cut deals with extremists, and then cut deals with moderates, telling everyone what they want to hear.

Tags: 2008, General 2008, John McCain (all tags)

Comments

Ugh
I can't have any tolerance for this.

Personally I can't even stomach being within shouting distance of people who hold these views.  A couple of months ago I got into an argument with a kid across the hall from me in my dorm during which, over the course of five hours, he tried to prove his belief that there can be only one answer to explain why over the course of history groups of people with one color skin have by and large succeeded, while groups with differently colored skin have failed.  I was so disgusted knowing that I lived ten feet away from someone with such beliefs that I had to change rooms to another dorm.

I understand that's an extreme example.  But raising funds for people like this is unacceptable in 21st century American politics.

Unacceptable.

by mlanger 2005-11-21 06:37AM | 0 recs
get footage
the printed reports of this are useful, but footage or photographs of something like this are pure gold down the road.
by janfrel 2005-11-21 07:17AM | 0 recs
McCain
I'm not a racist. I just support racists.

I'm against torture but I vote for torturers.

by Andrew C White 2005-11-21 07:22AM | 0 recs
Keep this up!
Go, Matt, go. Keep beating the drum on this one. I can't stand the ridiculously naive view some Democrats have of McCain.
by BriVT 2005-11-21 07:33AM | 0 recs
McCain's legislative record can sink him
McCain will suffer from the same problems all senators do who run for national office.  A record.

I'm beginning to believe that the senate is the worst place to go if you want to be president.  Even Edwards, who only had 1 term had his record effectively used against him.

McCain voted for Clarence Thomas and Robert Bork on the supreme court.  Things like that must be made to haunt him.

I agree, keep on educating democrats and independents that McCain is not the uniter or lesser of 55 evils in the senate they're hoping he is.

by scientician 2005-11-21 07:46AM | 0 recs
Just so we can keep this in Perspective
The Alabama "Council of Conservative Citizens" is the DIRECT (as in a name change) descendent of the Alabama "White Citizens Council" which was the chief proponent of the segregation that led to the Montgomery Bus Boycott. The White Citizens Council threatened MLK numerous times and were active in trying to break the boycott.

" JEFF GREENFIELD, CNN SENIOR ANALYST: One of the things is something you alluded to that you'll talk about later. That while Tom Daschle kind of brushed this off, there were conservatives who were very angry at Lott. The "Wall Street Journal" editorial page today rapped his knuckles. "The Weekly Standard," a conservative publication. "The National Review Online, very tough on Trent Lott. A conservative African-American columnist in the "New York Post," a conservative paper. (UNINTELLIGIBLE) said this kind of language is simply unacceptable.

And one of the reasons, I think, apart from the fact that Lott has had his troubles before when he praised the work of the Counsel Council Of Conservative Citizens, a successor to it White Citizens Council, an organization that was tough on civil rights in the '50s. Is that there's a historical issue here. The Republican party in the south grew because of the backlash against civil rights. After 1964, the civil rights act Barry Goldwater, the only states he carried out a Arizona was southern states. "

by Bruticus 2005-11-21 08:20AM | 0 recs
more on mccain
hangin' that albushtross around his neck and his impeccable Wingnut<sup>TM</sup> creds
by Cedwyn 2005-11-22 11:42PM | 0 recs