Attention All Democratic Congressional Chiefs of Staff

My name is Chris Bowers. I write for www.MyDD.com, and I live in Philadelphia (PA-02, Chaka Fattah, to be precise). I want you to know how concerned I am about an upcoming event that all Senate and House Democratic Chiefs of Staff have been invited to attend: the 2005 Chief of Staff Retreat hosted by the Mercatus Center to be held February 4-5 at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Philadelphia, PA. I am writing this to urge you to not attend this event.

It is important that you realize who funds the Mercatus Center. Since 1985, the Mercatus Center has received 513 grants totaling $45,347,884. Their top donors have been as follows:

Nine of these twelve are the top nine donors to the conservative think tank apparatus. The other three are "conservative angel"Barre Seid, big-time conservative donor Jacquelin Hume, and the Walton family of Wal-Mart infamy. Together, these twelve sources of funding make up over 95% of the Mercatus Center's funding since it was founded in 1985. Several of the smaller donors not listed here are also uber-conservative "angels."

Quite frankly, I believe that attending this retreat would be tantamount to your boss becoming a member of the Fainthearted Faction. If you need an explanation of this term, please click here. Believe me when I tell you that this is not a label you want to give to your boss.

I believe that it is absolutely essential that not a single Democratic Chief of Staff attend this retreat. If you have already reserved a place, cancel it. Under no circumstances should Democrats be associating with, and buttered up by, conservative influence peddlers such as the Mercatus Center. This is especially true at a time when we have become an opposition party and the President is gearing up a campaign to destroy Social Security. We are never going to take our country back if our main influences are the Koch family, the Olin foundation, and the Scaife family.

If you are not attending this retreat, please tell your colleagues why and urge them to do likewise.

In solidarity,
Chris Bowers
Christopher_j_bowers@yahoo.com

P.S.: I urge anyone who reads this to contact the chief of staff of your local Democratic congressman and/or Senator and urge them not to attend. Also, I have already contacted Harry Reid's chief of staff, and it went very well. There is no need to contact him further.

Tags: Activism (all tags)

Comments

Link
I'm going to link to this from my blog!
by kydem 2005-01-21 09:52AM | 0 recs
It's up
It is up!
by kydem 2005-01-21 09:58AM | 0 recs
Re: It's up
Thanks! Can you help get Bayh out of the Fainthearted faction too?
by Chris Bowers 2005-01-21 10:25AM | 0 recs
Re: It's up
I have some contacts with his office before I had taken the lead in the Draft Bayh movement.  I did notice that it's all the Democrats in Third Way except for Salazar.

I'm going to see what I can do but can't make any guarantees.

by kydem 2005-01-21 10:27AM | 0 recs
Re: It's up
Well, thanks for trying in advance. He is one of the keys.
by Chris Bowers 2005-01-21 10:32AM | 0 recs
Re: It's up
no problem.
by kydem 2005-01-21 10:38AM | 0 recs
Re: It's up
"I did notice that it's all the Democrats in Third Way except for Salazar."

I do not understand that statement.  Please explain.  Are you talking about John Salazar from Colorado?

Thanks in advance.

by Bill70 2005-01-21 01:11PM | 0 recs
Re: It's up
Ken Salazar is a Senator in Third-Way.
by kydem 2005-01-22 06:22PM | 0 recs
Dollar amounts to Mercatus Center
The linked page is a total of all 'Grants to George Mason University, George Mason University Foundation, Inc., the Institute for Humane Studies, and the Mercatus Center'.

If grants directly to the Mercatus Center are displayed, the total is $452,000:

There are other grants which were to the Mercatus Center on the page linked by Chris Bowers, but even including those grants in the total, it doesn't come close to $45,000.000.  The total is about $1,350,000.

by conelrad 2005-01-21 10:03AM | 0 recs
Urging same at Blogging for Bayh
I know many of you dislike Bayh but I agree on this. Anything Scaife bothers me to no end.

html://americansforbayh.blogspot.com

by lobejammer 2005-01-21 10:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Urging same at Blogging for Bayh
that link should be http://americansforbayh.blogspot.com
by jonahinnyc 2005-01-21 11:09AM | 0 recs
Mercatus and Roemer
Chris:
Didja notice on the Mercatus website that it trumpets the fact that Tim Roemer and JC Watts joined the Mercatus Center in May 2003?
If that hasn't been widely publicized, shouldn't it be?  Shouldn't that alone be enough to disqualify him for DNC Chair?
Just askin'.
by TJ 2005-01-21 12:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Mercatus and Roemer-An Impossible Alliance
Roemer was, and is, an impossible candidate for Chair of DNC.  His telegenics at 9/11 hearings were supposed to carry him to a  leadership position, but his alliance with Scaife- Wal-Mart-Koch, is odious and inexcusable. Any Democrat he can bring along should be held accountable (loudly and clearly], and pressure should be brought on any of his targeted Democrats. Roemer must be getting some snazzy fees and/or other goodies, or then, what the hell is he doing with this toxic bunch? The chutzpah is compelling.
by morris1030 2005-01-21 03:21PM | 0 recs
Moran
Thanks for all the research -- what scum!  I sent a message using lots of your text to Jim Moran, my congressman, whose chief of staff attended in 2004.  I'll let you know when I hear back.
by Redshift 2005-01-22 02:28PM | 0 recs