How to Be An Opposition Party

It is too bad Kerry is not President Elect, but I like what I read in this email:Regardless of the outcome of this election, once all the votes are counted -- and they will be counted -- we will continue to challenge this administration. This is not a time for Democrats to retreat and accommodate extremists on critical principles -- it is a time to stand firm.

I will fight for a national standard for federal elections that has both transparency and accountability in our voting system. It's unacceptable in the United States that people still don't have full confidence in the integrity of the voting process.

I ask you to join me in this cause.

And we must fight not only against George Bush's extreme policies -- we must also uphold our own values. This is why on the first day Congress is in session next year, I will introduce a bill to provide every child in America with health insurance. And, with your help, that legislation will be accompanied by the support of hundreds of thousands of Americans.

There are more than eight million uninsured children in our nation. That's eight million reasons for us to stay together and fight for a new direction. It is a disgrace that in the wealthiest nation on earth, eight million children go without health insurance.

Normally, a member of the Senate will first approach other senators and ask them to co-sponsor a bill before it is introduced -- instead, I am turning to you. Imagine the power of a bill co-sponsored by hundreds of thousands of Americans being presented on the floor of the United States Senate. You can make it happen. Sign our "Every Child Protected" pledge today and forward it to your family, friends, and neighbors:

Demanding that every vote is counted. Demanding massive election reform. Taking your opposition policies directly to the people. This is very encouraging.

Sign the petition here.

Tags: Activism (all tags)

Comments

Signed it.
Signed!  let the democrats know we want them to be active in the coming years.
by rawk 2004-11-19 11:53AM | 0 recs
Very encouraging indeed
I love it. I was thrilled when I got this in my e-mail.  This is exactly the opposite of the Gore strategy, i.e. fade into obscurity.  This plan of having Americans co-sponsor the bill is marvelous and shrewd politics. Totally novel and it should command a lot of press coverage.

This is exactly what Democrats need instead of this persistent cannibilizing of each other and the usual recriminations-fest. How will we ever have a cohesive message and party unity if we insist on this pernicious infighting?  This is precisely what we need.

Kerry has ended the proud Democratic tradition of laying down and rolling over after an election loss.

Kudos, Kerry, kudos.  Keep it up.

by cls 2004-11-19 11:53AM | 0 recs
How to be an opposition party
I'm thrilled to see Kerry back.  I applaud the comments by Chris and cls, although the Gore-bashing by cls is absolutely out of line.
by Baltimore 2004-11-19 01:58PM | 0 recs
Re: How to be an opposition party
Hey!

I love Gore...

I just wasn't thrilled that he didn't use his popular vote majority to get something done...

by cls 2004-11-19 03:00PM | 0 recs
Yes to standing together
and no to cannibilism.
by vj 2004-11-19 02:23PM | 0 recs
Finally!!
It's about time he emerged!! Let's get some things done now!!
by crowbar317 2004-11-19 02:48PM | 0 recs
I like the sound of this
It is wonderful to see that he will not disappear into B-list academia like Dukakis, or go on a retreat, get fat and grow a beard like Gore.  He's got our attention -- let's use it!
by boffo 2004-11-19 06:42PM | 0 recs
Re: I like the sound of this
I said, an end to the Gore-bashing!  Gore shaved his beard and made some wonderful inflammatory revolutionary speeches for MoveOn.org.
by Baltimore 2004-11-20 05:18AM | 0 recs
Forging ahead
If this election is cleaned first, you will find the majority of Dems ready to move on and to work to pursue our progressive goals.
But there are still some 'anomalies' to be investigated first.
Even if we believe Bush won, and has a mandate, there is a lot of cleaning up to do - I have no patience with those who do not want to find out what happened in Ohio.
by Dorothy Ligon 2004-11-20 06:58AM | 0 recs
Kerry could erase "flip-flopper" image
I love that Kerry called it like it was: the Bush team couldn't even act bipartisan for two weeks! GOod, the gloves should be off.

If you want to "rebrand" the Democrats, rebrand yourselves as fighters! Kerry is the man to do it. He has gravitas. He literally is fighter. The only thing he needs to do is forget government health insurance and social security. If he sends a crystal clear message that fiscal solvency is priority number one, then he could gain the trust of the Perot voter.

I don't expect the true left to support the democrats any more, nor should they. But four years of Kerry leadership in the opposition will teach all Americans why he would have been a great president (especially by comparison).

by Paul Goodman 2004-11-20 08:33AM | 0 recs
This is a very good sign
This one email gives me a whole new respect for John Kerry. He's taking the same positive direction as Howard Dean and Jimmy Carter, which is becoming a great Democratic tradition.
by pdt 2004-11-21 04:54AM | 0 recs